Sunday, January 24, 2010

Beef and Barley Soup

This recipe is for Kristi, who inspired me to make this by asking me if I ever have. So delicious! Kristi has since moved to San Diego where her husband got a new job, so yay for employment and boo for friends leaving. I got this recipe from a food blog that I love, Prudence Pennywise. She made it in the slow cooker, which I would have done if I had the time, but I didn't so I made it on the stove. Everyone who eats in my family loved it.

1 lb. stew meat
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 ribs celery, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
5 cups beef broth
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon dried parsley, or 2 tablespoons fresh
Add later:
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley (quick cooking is fine)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
fresh parsley, for serving

Slow Cooker version:
Add meat through parsley to crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. Add barley for last hour of cooking. Stir in vinegar and sugar. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Stove top:
Heat 2 Tbsp oil a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Cook until onions are translucent an mushrooms have browned, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add garlic and stew meat and sprinkle with salt. Brown the outside of the meat for about 3 minutes then pour in beef broth.
Bring to a boil; add red pepper flakes, bay leaf, parsley and barley. Let simmer, covered, for 35-45 minutes, until the barley has cooked through. Add vinegar and sugar. Adjust seasonings as needed.

1 comment: