Friday, February 12, 2010

Sugar Cookies for Valentine's Day

The credit for these delicious cookies goes to my sister Mendi, who makes the best sugar cookies. I am very picky about this type of cookie because I hate cookies that are hard, crispy and stale tasting. I like sugar cookies to be soft and moist and delicious, which these are! They do require a stint in the refrigerator so plan for that, but let me tell you they are worth it! I have to admit that I enjoy them more when Mendi makes them - food always tastes better to me when you don't have to make it.


So whip up a batch and get to rolling, cutting, baking and frosting with your kids, they will love you for it.

Mendi's Sugar Cookies
makes 5 dozen


1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Frosting:
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk


Cream butter, add sugar gradually. Add beaten eggs and vanilla. Mix and sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition. Put dough in bowl with lid ; cover and chill one hour in refrigerator.

After chilled, roll out dough in sections 1/8 of an inch in thickness. Cut out with floured cookie cutters.

Bake on greased cookie sheet at 375 for 10-12 minutes, do not let brown.


Frosting:

Mix sugar, butter and vanilla. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach desired consistency.

Frost and decorate cooled cookies. Get crazy and creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment