Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sloppy Joes

I am putting this recipe up here at Lindsay's request. This is the one I use for sloppy joes every time. It is an Ellie Krieger recipe (the nutritionist on food network). The only change I make is that I don't use ground beef, I use venison because I have it and it's super lean. Oh and I leave out the jalapeno.

1 pound lean or extra-lean (90% or higher) ground beef
1 medium onion, dices (about 1 1/2 cups)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced - use gloves :)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 can (15.5 oz) low-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce (which is about one 15oz can, so i use the whole thing)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp unsulfured molasses
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Brown the meat and onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat into crumbles as it cooks. Pour the drippings out of the pan and discard. Add the garlic, jalapeno and red pepper and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve with buns.

If you care to know the nutrition facts:
I sandwich with a whole-wheat bun: 265 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment