Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Butternut Squash Risotto

I got this recipe from Martha's people. I decided I am no longer going to give her sole credit for recipes/ideas that were actually developed by her creative staff and not her. Ina has a butternut squash risotto that I also want to try and I think that I will probably do a combination of the 2 recipes to get it the way I want it. I 'll post that when I do it. But for now here's the one from Martha's people. I made it for dinner last night and it was good, but could be better. Also as usual I made a few changes to go with what I had.

Serves 4

1 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2" chunks
(that is about 1/2 of the standard sized squash you get in the store)
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine (subbed chicken stock)
2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken stock
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage (I used thyme)

1. In a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add squash; season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring often, until edges soften, 6-8 minutes.
2. In a separate pot heat 2 cans of the stock and 1/2 cup water together and bring to a simmer
3. Add rice to squash; stir to coat. Add wine, cook until almost all liquid has evaporated, 1-2 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low; add 1/2 cup of the hot broth mixture. Cook, stirring until almost all liquid is absorbed. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding more, 35-40 minutes total.
5. stir in parmesan, sage, and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment