Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pear Sauce

Last time I was in OR I went to Harry & David with my father-in-law. He was nice enough to buy me a huge box of their Comice Pears -which are the best pears you'll ever eat. And I did eat them. A lot of them. But, I could only get through so many before they started to get too ripe and not so good anymore so I decided to make pear butter out of the rest of them. Long story short pear butter takes a long time and you have to watch it and I have small children who I would rather watch so I made pear sauce instead. AMAZING! Here's what I did, super easy and delicious:

20lbs pears, peeled, cored and quartered
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 cups sugar

Pile as many pears as you can into your crockpot, sprinkle with nutmeg and put on the lid. Set to cook for 8 hours on low. Go run some errands, come back and put in the sugar, stirring it all up. Put the lid back on and walk away until your 8 hours is up. If you have an immersion blender now is the perfect time to use it (I keep telling John this is a necessity for me in hopes that he gets the hint) Everyone else pour as much as will fit into your blender (I did mine in two batches) and blend it all up. I didn't go crazy with blending because I wanted a few chunks still.

Enjoy the deliciousness and ease of your crockpot, unless you are Wendi.

Oh and I also processed mine into 12 8-ounce jelly jars. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment