Thursday, November 5, 2009

Chicken Dumpling Soup

My mom used to make us Chicken Dumpling Soup, she even made her own stock. Which is pretty impressive all on its own but now is more so because she thinks Ragu tastes good. It was one of my favorite soups growing up. I loved the dumplings but hated the celery. The secret is chopping the celery really small so you still get all the flavor but skip that nasty crunch. It's not really a secret but I just now figured it out, so apparently it was a secret to me. To make my soup I used a combination of three different recipes. I used a little from my mom, Ina Garten, and Better Homes and Garden. Here's what I did:


2 chicken breasts
kosher salt
cracked pepper
8 cups of water
8 tsp chicken granules
2 stalks medium celery diced
3 medium carrots diced
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp canola oil

Soup:
Generously salt and pepper chicken and broil chicken on hi until no longer pink, about 6-8 minutes.
Bring water and chicken granules to a boil. Add celery and carrots and simmer for 10 min. Shred chicken and add to soup.

Dumplings:
In a medium bowl add flour, baking powder, salt and whisk together. Combine milk and oil and add to dry ingredients. Stir until moistened. Drop Tablespoon sizes of dough into soup. Cover, return to a boil reduce heat and cook 12-15min.

No comments:

Post a Comment